Decision Support Software:
Decision Support Software is a software that is used to support decision making activities such as determinations, judgments, and courses of action in an organization.
The management, operations and planning levels of an organization can be served by DSS. The software help people in making decisions about any unstructured and semi-structured decision problems that may be rapidly changing and not easily specified in advance. It can be either fully computerized or powered by human, or a combination of both.
Features and Benefits of Data Support Software:
There are several features of Data Support Software that can benefit the user in many ways to grow their business. Some of these include:
- The less well structured and under specified problem that the upper level managers typically face can be managed by DSS.
- The use of models or analytic techniques are combined with traditional data access and retrieval functions in the software.
- The easy to use features by non-computer proficient people in an interactive mode are more focused in the software.
- Flexibility and adaptability are emphasized to accommodate changes in the environment and the decision making approach of the user.
- Useful information from a combination of raw data, documents, and personal knowledge, or business models can be compiled by the decision makers to identify and solve problems and make decisions.
- Inventories or operations related data including cubes, data warehouses, legacy and relational data sources and data marts; comparative sales figures of different time periods; target and projected revenue figure based on product sales assumptions are some of the typical information that a decision support software collects and present.
- Data can be synthesized after collecting and analyzing to produce comprehensive information reports.
- All the multiple variables can be integrated and an outcome and alternate outcomes can be generated based on the past product sales data and current variables of a company.
- It can be programmed to generate various types of reports based on user specifications.
- It can be installed on most computer systems, whether on desktops or laptops. DSS applications are also available through mobile devices. This flexibility is extremely beneficial for the users who travel frequently as it provides them the opportunity to be well-informed at all times. The user can make the best decisions for their company and customers on the go or even on the spot.
- The decision cycle time can be reduced as the software provide relevant information in time for a decision to be made.
- Workforce effectiveness and productivity can be enhanced because of the possibility of performing a more in-depth and fast data analysis
- Communication and collaboration among decision makers can be improved as they are all provided with equal access to the same data.
- Teamwork can be encouraged, transparency can be increased and everyone in the company stay on the same page by easy sharing facts and ideas as all operational data are available to all people across the company.
- Learning of new concepts can be facilitated and a better understanding of the business and decision making environment can be developed.
- It help increase organizational control. Business transaction data are available for performance monitoring and ad hoc querying in data-driven DSS that help management stay up to date with business operations.